The 2014 BMW X6 ranks 16 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on summaries of international published reviews and test drives of the BMW X6, as well as reliability and safety data.
The majority of test drivers are of the opinion that although the 2014 BMW X6 has the weight and height of an SUV, the interior is small, resulting in disappointment in terms of performance and practicality. Reviewers agree that the base X6 xDrive35i (with a turbo-charged six-cylinder engine) is refined and delivers strong acceleration.The X6 xDrive50i models with more powerful twin-turbocharged V8 engine provides extra power.Critics say that the 8 speed automatic transmission (which is standard) shifts quickly and smoothly.The base 2014 X6 xDrive35i model gets an estimated 16.6 litres per 100 kms city driving, which is on par for a six-cylinder luxury midsize SUV with all-wheel drive.
6. Test drivers write that the 2014 BMW X6 offers controlled handling and powerful brakes, though some note that steering effort is a little heavier than they would like
7. Auto writers think that the BMW X6 has an eye-catching interior that's built with top-notch materials. They say the 2014 X6 is very nice up front thanks to spacious seats, though many write that the back seats are a bit cramped.
8. Cargo space is typical for the class with all seats in use, but many SUVs offer more overall cargo space with the rear seats folded
9. Some reviewers note that the X6's iDrive infotainment system is a bit complicated, but others write that the system becomes fairly intuitive after some study.
10. The 2014 BMW X6 comes standard with features like a moon-roof, front and rear parking sensors, Bluetooth and a 10-speaker sound system. Available features include a head-up display, a rear-seat entertainment system and adaptive cruise control.
Comments from other car websites:
"Cars don't get much more outlandish than the BMW X6, which combines the heft and elevated ride height of a crossover with the rakish roofline of a coupe. The styling takes a toll on passenger and cargo space, although the X6 does offer the handling, luxury and performance for which BMW is known." -- Left Lane News"The X6's SUV classification should be taken with a grain of salt, however, as it's not terribly well suited for off-roading and its raked rear end negates what could be a useful cargo bay. But, if you're an urban dweller who prefers performance to practicality, BMW's 2014 X6 has much to offer." -- Kelley Blue Book"The X6 is the slowest-selling BMW after the Z4. It's ponderous and inefficient like a giant SUV, but has the interior space of a medium-sized hatchback." -- AutoWeek (2013)"Marketed as a cross between an SUV and a coupe, the 2013 BMW X6 unfortunately represents a rather poor blend of both." -- Edmunds (2013)